UPDATE: Channahon Family Displaced After Fire
Channahon Fire Chief Dave Riddle estimates damage at $50,000.
No one was injured, but a home in Channahon is uninhabitable Friday night after a fire brought firefighters from about six departments.
Channahon Fire Protection District, Minooka Fire Protection District, Troy Fire Protection District, Plainfield and Rockdale departments were among those who responded to the fire in the 24000 block of Green Heron Drive in Channahon.
Channahon Fire Chief Dave Riddle said the call came in as a dryer fire.
"On arrival we discovered the dryer was in fact in the basement," he said.
The department has not verified that the fire originated in the dryer, but at this point have no reason to believe it did not.
Riddle said the department does tend to have more fire calls in the winter.
"We tend to get those chimney fires in the winter," he said.
But, he said, a dryer fire could happen at any time.
He suggested people make sure to clean dryer vents and double check the gas line connections if they have a gas dryer.
Editor's Note: An account has been set up at BMO Harris Bank locations for donations. The account is "The Latta Family Fire Fund" and all Harris banks are accepting donations at this time.
Channahon has a branch at 24745 West Eames Street, Minooka has a branch at 207 West Mondamin Street and Shorewood has a branch at 709 W. Jefferson St.