For many area residents, Fat Tuesday — which falls on Feb. 12 this year — is not complete without the delectable Polish delicacy known as paczki.
Due to the Chicago area's large Polish population, the fried dough creation has become a staple of the pre-Lenten celebration and indulgence. Filling and icing varieties make the choices almost unending.
But you don't have to be Polish to enjoy the seasonal goody.
In Plainfield, Cathy's Sweet Creations is already taking preorders for the sweet treat, available in flavors Bavarian cream, strawberry and raspberry for $1.55 each or $16.95 for a dozen. According to the bakery's Facebook page, Cathy's sold 2,000 of the Polish confections last year.
Here are a few places to get your paczki fix, both near and far. Some suggestions came from readers via Plainfield Patch's Facebook page. If we left off your favorite bakery, let us know in the comments section.
- Cathy's Sweet Creations, 24042 W. Lockport St., Plainfield
- Tony's Finer Foods, 2300 Route 59, Plainfield
- Szela European Deli, 1327 Lily Cache Ln., Bolingbrook
- Angelo Caputo's Fresh Markets, 3115 11th St. (corner of 11th and Route 59), Naperville
- Donut Den, 3021 Theodore St., Joliet
- Milano Bakery, 433 S. Chicago St., Joliet (on the bakery's Facebook page, employees advise patrons to come in early on Fat Tuesday for the best selection)
- Joliet Bakery, Deli & Liquors, 821 Plainfield Rd. Joliet
- Orland Park Bakery, 14850 S. LaGrange Rd., Orland Park (click here to order online or download an order form)
- Weber's Bakery, 7655 W. Archer Ave., Chicago