Shop Plainfield: Small Business Saturday Coincides with Candlelight Christmas
Downtown businesses are offering activities, events on Saturday, Nov. 24 as part of MainStreet Plainfield event.
It’s coming: Black Friday, the day big-box stores count on to bring in customers in droves and help them end the year with a profit.
But what about the little guy?
Mom and pop businesses will get their chance to shine on Small Business Saturday, which is on Nov. 24.
The date coincides with MainStreet Plainfield’s annual Candlelight Christmas, a family friendly event that offers holiday-themed fun for the kids, plus plenty of opportunities for grown-ups to support local businesses.
Here’s a roundup of what’s going on, starting at 10 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 24:
- 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.: Stop by Village Flower Shop and find Santa to be entered in a drawing for a prize.
- 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.: Kids can visit Main Street Candy & Toys holiday shop to select a gift or toy for their wish list; the shop’s “elves” will put it in Santa’s mailbox. Guests can also enjoy cookies, music and cheer.
- 10 a.m. – 8p.m.: Just Ducky is the spot to write a holiday greeting for a serviceman or woman stationed overseas this Christmas; the store will also have a gift drop box for troops.
- Noon – 3 p.m.: Enjoy Christmas face painting at Back on the Rack
- Noon – 8 p.m.: Cathy’s Sweet Creations will offer gingerbread house decorating for $24.95 per house. Reservations required by calling 815-577-9660.
- Noon – 10 p.m.: Stop by the Wandering Dragon Game Shoppe to play Yahtzee or Jenga for the chance to win a $5 gift certificate. New games every two yours. Make a reservation by calling 815-267-6245. The shop will also host a free showing of “A Christmas Story.”
- 1 – 3 p.m.: Pixie Pizazzi will offer holiday ornaments for $8; kids will color a design on paper, and Pixie Pizazzi will print it on the ornament. Pick-up date is Nov. 29.
- 2 – 4 p.m.: When you’re finished shopping, take advantage of the gift wrapping station at Have to Have, sponsored by Elite Rehabilitation. Guests can also enjoy a 5-10 minute mini chair massage while they wait.
- 2 – 6 p.m.: The Olive Gallery will offer bread dipping with their special Tuscan herb olive oil and traditional balsamic.
- 3 – 8 p.m.: Gourmet Junction will offer free pictures with Santa.
- 3 – 8 p.m.: Sample hot beverages at the Tawny Tortoise’s warming station.
- 4 – 8 p.m.: Free face painting at Realty Executives Success
- 4 – 8 p.m.: Enjoy horse-drawn carriage rides through downtown Plainfield; pick-up is at the corner of Lockport and DesPlaines streets. Cost is a $1 donation or one canned good to benefit a local food pantry.
- 6 – 9 p.m.: Wine & Cheese by TCC will offer a holiday wine tasting.
- 7 p.m. – The Plainfield Lions Club will host its annual crèche lighting, starting with a program inside Plymouth Congregational Church; after the program, head outside for a sing-a-long of “Silent Night” as the crèche is illuminated.
- 7 – 9 p.m.: Fiesta Mexicana will offer a tasting of Shock Top’s Midnight Wheat beer.
- 9:30 p.m.: Stop by Uptown Eatery & Tap for the music of the “Gruband” featuring Steve Gruben, Bobby Bostanche and friends.
- 10 p.m.: DJ “Short Bus” will be spinning tunes at Moe Joe’s.
What other businesses are planning
If that’s not enough for you, some other Plainfield businesses have some specials in store for Small Business Saturday:
- Amy’s Organics will be at Sunnyside Antiques from 1 to 4 p.m.
- Swanson Fine Art & Design will offer a 10 percent discount on custom designs — just mention Patch when you order!
- PC Master High Tech is offering a 10 percent off special
- Absolutely Audrey online boutique is offering a 30 percent discount on everything (Coupon code: BLACKFRIDAY)
Is your small business planning anything special this Saturday? Let us know and we’ll post it here.