Veterans Day Roundup: Plainfield Schools, Business Honor Heroes
A look at how local servicemen and women are being recognized.
Thought it falls on a Sunday this year, Veterans Day will be observed across the nation on Monday, Nov. 12.
In the days and weeks before and after the holiday, which recognizes serviceman and women for the sacrifices and service they've given to their country, Plainfield schools, churches and a local business are paying homage to local heroes.
Here's a roundup of some Plainfield activities:
- Indian Trail Middle School put out the call last month for local veterans to take part in assembly slated for Friday, Nov. 16, at the school. Vets will be honored at an 8:30 a.m. assembly and then receive a free breakfast. Veterans interested in sharing their experiences with students are invited to tour classrooms and take questions from students after breakfast.
- Ira Jones Middle School is hosting a “We Are Thankful for Our Veterans” pancake breakfast from 8:30 to 11 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 17, in the school cafeteria. This will double as a donation drive for the 101st Army Airborne Division currently serving in Afghanistan.
- St. Mary Immaculate, 15629 S. Route 59, will pay tribute to all veterans, living or dead, at all morning Masses on Sunday, Nov. 11. Veterans will be asked to stand and receive a special blessing during Masses, and all vets are invited to stop by the military ministry table in the gym to pick up a prayer card and rosary.
- In honor of Veterans Day, customers who dine at Culver's, 13449 S. Route 59 (corner of Route 59 and 119th Street) on Friday, Nov. 9, through Monday, Nov. 12, can contribute a portion of their bill to Operation Welcome You Home, a group that organizes welcomes for returning servicemen and women. To take part in the fundraiser, download and print the flyer attached to this article. Each customer who presents a flyer will receive one free scoop of frozen custard.
Veterans Day closings
In observance of Veterans Day, the following locations will be closed on Monday, Nov. 12:
- Village Hall
- The Plainfield post office, 14855 S. Van Dyke Rd.
- Will County offices, 302 N. Chicago St.
While many government offices are closed, the Plainfield Public Library will be open Veterans Day.