Veterans and all community members are invited to Joliet Junior College’s annual Veterans Day Ceremony at the Main Campus Veteran’s Memorial Bridge, located at 1215 Houbolt Road in Joliet, on Friday, Nov. 8 from noon to 1 p.m.
Veterans Day 2012
Veterans are encouraged to wear something that signifies their military branch, such as their uniform or even a small pin.
Both the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery Memorial Squad and Major Jesse L. Maggitt of the U.S. Army will address the crowd. The JJC Chamber Singers and JJC Chorale will end the observance with a performance of “Blades of Grass and Pure White Stones.”
The complete ceremony schedule is as follows:
- Welcome, Bette Conkin, Dean of Arts and Sciences
- Posting of colors
- Pledge of Allegiance
- National Anthem, led by JJC choir members
- Courage of America’s Military Veterans, Major Jesse L. Maggit, U.S. Army
- Moment of silence
- Introductions, Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery Memorial Squad
- Flag folding demonstration
- Echo taps
- Armed Forces medley
- “Blades of Grass and Pure White Stones,” an arrangement by Keith Christopher, will be directed by JJC professor Philip Spencer, conducted by accompanist Laura Kutscher, and performed by the JJC Chamber Singers and the JJC Chorale
Cake and punch will be available for all visitors and participants after the ceremony. Both the oldest and youngest veterans in attendance will get the honor of cutting the cake.
On Nov. 7, JJC students, faculty and staff will make cards to send to veterans who are currently serving.
For more information about the Veterans Day ceremony at JJC, contact Pam Dilday at email@example.com or 815-280-2755.