Today, if you meet someone named Jason Voorhees, maybe you should exit stage left as quickly as possible. Though it is not very likely to happen, on Friday the 13th, do you really want to take a chance?
July 13 is the third and last Friday the 13th in 2012. For those who fear the number 13, today may be particularly challenging. If you fear Friday the 13th you may suffer from paraskevidekatriaphobia. If you only fear the number 13 you suffer from triskaidekaphobia.
According to the website FearofStuff.com, fear of the number 13 dates back to biblical times when Judas was the 13th person to arrive at the last supper. He was also the one who betrayed Jesus.
In numerology, the number 12 is thought to be a symbol of completeness, whereas 13 is considered to be irregular, according to Wikipedia. Friday being viewed as an unlucky day dates back to at least the 14th Century and theCantebury Tales. Though, it is also noted that Jesus was crucified on a Friday, also causing it to be perceived as a bad day.
Number 13 facts
- Office buildings and hotels generally skip from floor 12 to 14.
- Friday the 13th occurs at least once a year, but up to three times a year, according to the Georgian calendar.
- Some cities don’t have a 13th Street.
- Having 13 letters in your name is known to have the devil’s luck.
- Tarot card 13 is the Death Card.
- Hospitals and hotels usually do not have a room number 13.
Friday the 13th in Naperville
This is a special, Fido-friendly walking tour of Naperville's Historic District, where dog owners can bring their pets on the tour and enjoy the city's unique ghost stories and haunted history told by an experienced storyteller.
When: 8 p.m. on July 13, of course.
Where: , 43 E. Jefferson Ave.