The store and others in the area have voluntarily pulled Enfamil Newborn formula from their shelves after a 10-day-old baby in Missouri died Sunday.
"We have already pulled all of the Enfamil formula at our location," an associate at the Walmart in Oswego said Thursday.
Some stores, including the Montgomery Walmart, were also removing the 12.5-ounce cans of Enfamil Newborn Powder they had on their shelves.
Walmart stores nationwide began taking the action when a Missouri Walmart pulled its stock of the formula after a 10-day-old baby died Sunday.
The Lebanon Daily Record in Missouri reports Avery Cornett's family took him to a local hospital when he showed signs of lethargy and stomach discomfort. According to the newspaper, tests showed Avery had contracted a rare bacteria which can be found in contaminated infant formula.
- 12.5-ounce cans of Enfamil Newborn powder
- Lot number ZP1K7G
- Return Enfamil Newborn powdered formula to Walmart for a refund or exchange it for another brand.
A report in the Washington Post quotes Walmart spokeswoman Dianna Gee, who said the company decided to pull the lot “out of an abundance of caution” while health officials further investigate Sunday’s death.
STLToday.com reports the Missouri Department of Health is advising parents to follow safety guidelines for preparing any infant formula:
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Sterilize feeding equipment in hot soapy water.
- Prepare formula for one feeding at a time.