This Christmas Day, not everyone will be basking in the glow of the family hearth feeling nothing but goodwill toward men after downing a huge feast and tearing open a bounty of presents.
Some folks will be manning cash registers, working in kitchens and overseeing gas pumps to guarantee you can not only get to grandma's house, but that you can pick up that last-minute bottle of booze, box of candy or present for Aunt Mildred along the way. And just in case the Bumpus' hounds make off with your turkey, several Chinese restaurants will be open for your dining pleasure.
Some local watering holes will open up late in the day.
Here are some places you may or may not know are open on Christmas:
- Starbucks , 12640 Route 59, open 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- CVS , 11840 Route 59, open 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- 7-Eleven , 14807 Route 59, open 24 hours a day.
- Thorntons Gas and Food Mart , 15800 Route 59, open 24 hours a day.
- Plainfield Mobil , 22921 W. Lincoln Highway, open 24 hours a day.
- Shell/Circle K , 11900 S. Route 59, open 24 hours a day.
- Ukai Sushi & Chinese, 13610 S. Route 59, open 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Great Wall of China restaurant, 13400 Route 59, open 11:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Route 30 Wine and Liquor , 14210 U.S. 30, open 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- T-Bird's Liquors , 15420 Route 59, open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Discount Liquors , 23145 Lincoln Highway, open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Kelly's Pub, 15014 S. DesPlaines, open 5 to 10 p.m.
- Uptown Eatery & Tap, 24035 W. Lockport St., opens at 6 p.m.
- Durbin's, 16031 S. Lincoln Highway, opens at 5 p.m.
RELATED: The Reason for the Season: Plainfield Churches Plan Christmas Services