Now, the "Helping Hugs" effort is at it again, this time collecting items to help victims of Sunday's deadly tornadoes in Illinois. After sweeping through central Illinois, the storms hit the suburban Chicago area, causing damage and knocking out power in Frankfort, New Lenox, Tinley Park, Flossmoor, Homewood, Coal City and Joliet.
Elizabeth Hug said volunteers plan to deliver items to areas hit by the devastating storms on Wednesday. Donations can be dropped off from 2 to 7 p.m. Monday and Tuesday at Plymouth Congregational Church, 24022 W. Lockport St. (use Illinois Street entrance).
The Hugs are collecting the following items:
- hats (no other clothing items at this time)
- bottled water
- non perishable food items
- non electric can openers
- body soap (travel/hotel size as well as full size)
- small stuffed animals
- gift cards to Walmart or Target
- gift cards to fast food restaurants-McDonald's, Taco Bell, Burger King, etc.