It’s coming: Black Friday, the day big-box stores count on to bring in customers in droves and help them end the year with a profit.
But what about the little guy?
Mom and pop businesses will get their chance to shine on Small Business Saturday, which is on Nov. 24.
READ: Christmas 2012 Gifts: What Are You Hoping to Get?
The date coincides with MainStreet Plainfield’s annual Candlelight Christmas, a family friendly event that offers holiday-themed fun for the kids, plus plenty of opportunities for grown-ups to support local businesses.
The event also culminates with the Plainfield Lions Club's 61st annual creche lighting at 7 p.m.
Here’s a roundup of what’s going on, starting at 10 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 24:
- 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.: Stop by Village Flower Shop and find Santa to be entered in a drawing for a prize.
- 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.: Kids can visit Main Street Candy & Toys holiday shop to select a gift or toy for their wish list; the shop’s “elves” will put it in Santa’s mailbox. Guests can also enjoy cookies, music and cheer.
- 10 a.m. – 8p.m.: Just Ducky is the spot to write a holiday greeting for a serviceman or woman stationed overseas this Christmas; the store will also have a gift drop box for troops.
- Noon – 3 p.m.: Enjoy Christmas face painting at Back on the Rack
- Noon – 8 p.m.: Cathy’s Sweet Creations will offer gingerbread house decorating for $24.95 per house. Reservations required by calling 815-577-9660.
- Noon – 10 p.m.: Stop by the Wandering Dragon Game Shoppe to play Yahtzee or Jenga for the chance to win a $5 gift certificate. New games every two yours. Make a reservation by calling 815-267-6245. The shop will also host a free showing of “A Christmas Story.”
- 1 – 3 p.m.: Pixie Pizazzi will offer holiday ornaments for $8; kids will color a design on paper, and Pixie Pizazzi will print it on the ornament. Pick-up date is Nov. 29.
- 2 – 4 p.m.: When you’re finished shopping, take advantage of the gift wrapping station at Have to Have, sponsored by Elite Rehabilitation. Guests can also enjoy a 5-10 minute mini chair massage while they wait.
- 2 – 6 p.m.: The Olive Gallery will offer bread dipping with their special Tuscan herb olive oil and traditional balsamic.
- 3 – 8 p.m.: Gourmet Junction will offer free pictures with Santa.
- 3 – 8 p.m.: Sample hot beverages at the Tawny Tortoise’s warming station.
- 4 – 8 p.m.: Free face painting at Realty Executives Success
- 4 – 8 p.m.: Enjoy horse-drawn carriage rides through downtown Plainfield; pick-up is at the corner of Lockport and DesPlaines streets. Cost is a $1 donation or one canned good to benefit a local food pantry.
- 6 – 9 p.m.: Wine & Cheese by TCC will offer a holiday wine tasting.
- 7 p.m. – The Plainfield Lions Club will host its annual crèche lighting, starting with a program inside Plymouth Congregational Church; after the program, head outside for a sing-a-long of “Silent Night” as the crèche is illuminated.
- 7 – 9 p.m.: Fiesta Mexicana will offer a tasting of Shock Top’s Midnight Wheat beer.
- 9:30 p.m.: Stop by Uptown Eatery & Tap for the music of the “Gruband” featuring Steve Gruben, Bobby Bostanche and friends.
- 10 p.m.: DJ “Short Bus” will be spinning tunes at Moe Joe’s.
READ: Support Plainfield Businesses — Local Companies to 'Like' on Facebook
What other businesses are planning
If that’s not enough for you, some other Plainfield businesses have some specials in store for Small Business Saturday:
- Amy’s Organics will be at Sunnyside Antiques from 1 to 4 p.m.
- Swanson Fine Art & Design will offer a 10 percent discount on custom designs — just mention Patch when you order!
- PC Master High Tech is offering a 10 percent off special
- Absolutely Audrey online boutique is offering a 30 percent discount on everything (Coupon code: BLACKFRIDAY)
Is your small business planning anything special this Saturday? Let us know and we’ll post it here.