.

UPDATE: Channahon Family Displaced After Fire

Channahon Fire Chief Dave Riddle estimates damage at $50,000.

No one was injured, but a home in Channahon is uninhabitable Friday night after a fire brought firefighters from about six departments.

, , , and Rockdale departments were among those who responded to the fire in the 24000 block of Green Heron Drive in Channahon.

Channahon Fire Chief Dave Riddle said the call came in as a dryer fire.

"On arrival we discovered the dryer was in fact in the basement," he said.

The department has not verified that the fire originated in the dryer, but at this point have no reason to believe it did not.

Riddle said the department does tend to have more fire calls in the winter.

"We tend to get those chimney fires in the winter," he said.

But, he said, a dryer fire could happen at any time.

He suggested people make sure to clean dryer vents and double check the gas line connections if they have a gas dryer.

Editor's Note: An account has been set up at locations for donations. The account is "The Latta Family Fire Fund" and all Harris banks are accepting donations at this time.
Channahon has a branch at 24745 West Eames Street, Minooka has a branch at 207 West Mondamin Street and Shorewood has a branch at 709 W. Jefferson St.

Durk E. Brownlee December 10, 2011 at 05:23 PM
It is a shame that these details were missed. It's also a shame that this is called the Channohon-Minooka patch, but I don't believe the reporter spends any time reporting the goings-on at the Minooka board meetings. Only Channahon meetings seem to get any play.
Becca December 10, 2011 at 05:59 PM
Thank you all for your support for this family. I am a friend of the family and an account has been set up at Harris Banks for donations. The account is "The Latta Family Fire Fund" and all Harris banks are accepting donations at this time. The family sincerely appreciates your caring and concern! They have a temporary place to stay at this point and are extremely thankful that no one was hurt. Blessings to you all!
Dawn Aulet December 12, 2011 at 07:31 AM
Thank you Becca. I will pass this information along to readers who were asking on our Facebook page.
Carol Cissell December 12, 2011 at 11:45 PM
Is everyone clueless to the fact that this article was published right after the fire occurred? How can anyone possibly have that information so quickly?
Tim December 13, 2011 at 12:20 AM
yeah, 'reporting' is hard. Maybe because when the police blotter here is updated as front page stories almost instantly with peoples names and ages, it becomes expected for other stories as well. It just isn't as fun to get the juicy gossip details on someones home burning down though.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »