.

Dryer Fire Displaces Plainfield Family

Building inspectors said the house was uninhabitable following fire that spread from the laundry room into other areas of the home.

Credit: File photo
Credit: File photo
A fire that started in a dryer caused significant damage to a home in the 11500 block of Legacy Drive in the north end of Plainfield, officials said Friday night.

Plainfield Deputy Chief Jon Stratton said the fire was called in at around 8:10 p.m. after a smoke detector went off and the homeowner saw smoke coming from the dryer.

The family — a mother, father and two children — were outside when fire crews arrived and escaped unharmed, Stratton said.

With Plainfield's Fire Station 3 just six blocks from the home, it was a matter of minutes before firefighters arrived, Stratton said, but the blaze spread quickly.

"The fire extended from a laundry room area all the way to the living room," and was spreading into the second floor when firefighters arrived, Stratton said. 

Stratton said an inspector from the Village of Plainfield's building department checked the home and determined it was uninhabitable.

He estimated damage to the home at around $250,000, including the contents of the house.

He said the family was staying with relatives following the blaze.

Ron Jidzny April 26, 2014 at 04:14 PM
Jon Stratton for Fire Chief!

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »