The fire is believed to have started around 9:30 a.m. in the area of the fireplaces and spread to the empty spaces above it, Stratton said. Two people, including the homeowner, were at the house at the time of the fire but were uninjured.
But on the second floor of the home, damage was so extensive that a fireman nearly fell through the floor. Luckily, he was able to pull himself up, Stratton said.
"He caught himself, but he went all the way down to his waist," he said.
In addition to the second-floor damage, the home has extensive soot and water damage on the first floor, leaving the house temporarily uninhabitable, Stratton said.