Lakelands Home Damaged by Fire

Blaze is thought to have started in the fireplace and spread to the second floor.

Credit: File photo
Credit: File photo
Plainfield firefighters battled a blaze Wednesday morning in the 13000 block of Merganser Court, with one fireman narrowly escaping injury, according to Deputy Chief Jon Stratton.

  • Sign up for the Plainfield Patch newsletter
  • Like Plainfield Patch on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

  • The fire is believed to have started around 9:30 a.m. in the area of the fireplaces and spread to the empty spaces above it, Stratton said. Two people, including the homeowner, were at the house at the time of the fire but were uninjured.

    But on the second floor of the home, damage was so extensive that a fireman nearly fell through the floor. Luckily, he was able to pull himself up, Stratton said.

    "He caught himself, but he went all the way down to his waist," he said.

    In addition to the second-floor damage, the home has extensive soot and water damage on the first floor, leaving the house temporarily uninhabitable, Stratton said.


    More »
    Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
    Note Article
    Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
    Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something