.

Outdoor Fireplace Causes Blaze, Displaces Residents

Plainfield firefighters responded to the second fire of the day in the same unincorporated area of Joliet.

An outdoor fireplace sparked a fire that badly damaged a home less than a mile away from a similar blaze that displaced another family Friday afternoon.

Plainfield Deputy Fire Chief Jon Stratton said a 911 call came in around 9 p.m. after a fire in an outdoor chimney breached a firewall and started a fire in the attic at 3118 Tyler Drive.

READ: Fire Badly Damages Joliet-Area Home

Stratton said people sitting in the back yard of the home noticed something was amiss after lighting a fire in the external fireplace.

“They noticed some lights flickering” in the house, Stratton said. After checking the attic and discovering flames, one of the people called 911, he said.

Stratton said the fire was similar to a blaze six hours earlier in the 1900 block of Heather Lane. In that incident, fire officials believe an indoor fireplace was the culprit, sparking a fire that also moved into the attic, causing extensive damage.

This time around, the Tyler Drive fire was caused by an external fireplace that was attached to the house, Stratton said.

No one was hurt in either incident.

As in the earlier Heather Lane fire, Stratton estimated damage at $75,000 to $80,000, plus the loss of much of the contents of the home.

Stratton said it was too soon to tell how soon the residents can move back into the home.

“We talked to them and they said they didn’t need anything from us or the Red Cross,” Stratton noted, saying the homeowner would likely be staying with family.

Though the home has a Joliet address, it is part of the Plainfield Fire Protection District and Plainfield School District.

-----------------

Sign up for Plainfield Patch’s daily newsletter.

For a different take on the news, follow Plainfield Patch on Facebook.

Infamous Steve November 10, 2012 at 04:04 PM
Two house fires in one day and they end up being habitable houses huh? But yet every fire Shorewood has the building ends up being a total loss. Just saying...
Jessie Kaufman November 10, 2012 at 05:29 PM
Thanks to the fast response times from the JFD that likely saved this house!
D November 10, 2012 at 07:53 PM
Thanks should go to Plainfield: Plainfield firefighters responded to the second fire of the day in the same unincorporated area of Joliet.
JEG November 10, 2012 at 08:11 PM
Thanks to Plainfield !!! Jessie read the article.
stephanie November 13, 2012 at 08:12 PM
I was the one that lived in the home. we never said we didn't need help, we do one member is homeless right now and everything is gone. im hurt by what was said.
Shannon Antinori (Editor) November 13, 2012 at 08:51 PM
Stephanie, if there's any way other residents can help your family, please let me know. You can reach me at shannon.antinori@patch.com.
Sassafrass November 14, 2012 at 01:15 PM
Stephanie the Plainfield Firefighters Womens Association will be helping you out. If there is anything you need the community is always there to help you. Let us know what you need and it will come in; in an abundance
stephanie November 15, 2012 at 05:42 AM
Thank you, I know we need clothing, I need resources to find my mom housing, there was 6 of us living there it was me, my 2 year old daughter, my mom, my fiance, his brother, and his brothers 5 year old son. we lost all our food, our dressers, my daughters room was basically gone. anymore info you need let me know. Thank you again to everyone who has helped in any way it means more than anything.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »