Late Sunday, Plainfield Director of Public Works Allen Persons said village staffers were working to clear the roads as quickly as possible, but that conditions could still be dangerous for motorists on Monday morning.
"The Plainfield Public Works Department (Street, Water, & Sewer Divisions) have combined forces to clear the streets during the most severe winter event since the blizzard three years ago," Persons said in an email to Patch. "Currently, fifteen Village snow plows and four contractors, utilizing an additional 20 pieces of snow removal equipment, are battling this storm event around the clock. While our goal is to have all of the Village streets cleared by Monday morning, we encourage motorist to use extreme caution as snow drifting will continue to be problematic."
- No Trash Collection on Monday Due to Weather
- Winter Storm Warning, 'Dangerous Arctic Outbreak' Headed to Will County
- Where to Keep Warm, Plus Safety Tips for the Family, House & Car
- Is Cold Weather a Good Reason to Cancel School?
While kids get the day off, all 12-month employees of District 202 are being told to report to work if possible. No decision had been made yet whether school will be closed Tuesday.
Monday was scheduled to be students' first day back from winter break.
"We will continue to monitor the weather conditions, and will alert you if school is to be closed for Tuesday as well," Director of Community Relations Tom Hernandez said in a message sent to parents on Sunday.
A wind chill warning is in effect until noon Tuesday.
Monday will be bitterly cold, with a high of -13 and possible wind chill of -45. Tuesday, expect a high of about 5 degrees, according to the NWS.
Other area closings on Monday:
- Will County Courthouse
- Plainfield Township offices
- Plainfield Park District facilities (employees to report to work, but programs and classes are cancelled Monday)
- C.W. Avery Family YMCA in Plainfield (and all Greater Joliet Area YMCA branches)
- Plainfield Public Library (closed Sunday and Monday)
- Joliet Public Library
- St. Mary Immaculate School, Plainfield
- Montessori of Plainfield
- Chesterbrook Academy
- The Goddard School
- Garden Gate Montessori, Plainfield
- Cathedral of St. Raymond School, Joliet
- Minooka CCSD 201 (closed Monday and Tuesday)
- Troy School District (teacher institute day cancelled)
- North Central College, Naperville
- Holy Family School, Shorewood
- Lewis University (all campuses)
- University of St. Francis, Joliet
- Joliet Junior College (all locations)
- Joliet Catholic Academy
- Providence Catholic High School
- Sunshine and Rainbows Learning Center
- Joliet Grade School District 86
- Joliet Montessori School
- Joliet Area Historical Museum (closed Monday and Tuesday)
- Catholic Charities/Diocese of Joliet early childhood programs
- Joliet Junior College
- Kendall Area Transit -- no service on Monday
- Waste Management -- no garbage collection on Monday
Durbin's of Plainfield will also be closed Monday, according to the business' Facebook page, and Revolution Dance Studio, 2200 S. Route 59, is canceling Monday classes.
The Perfect Invitation, 24046 W. Lockport St., will be closed Monday and Tuesday.
Late Sunday, School of Rock announced that out of concern for the safety of kids, parents and staff, classes are cancelled Monday.
If you're not sure whether a business is open, call before heading out.
Find a list of Chicagoland emergency closings on the Emergency Closing Center.