While Memorial Day is a time to remember and honor those who served our country, for many people it also signals the start of summer.
With the warm temperatures and the three-day weekend, grills will be fired up and backyard barbeques will begin.
Burgers and hot dogs are pretty standard fare, but thanks to Taste of Home magazine, here are some recipes that are out of the ordinary and sure to make your guests come back for seconds.
Taste of Home suggests these Memorial Day must-have dishes:
- Caprese Salad Kabobs: This classic appetizer is a creative and festive addition to outdoor celebrations. Submitted by Christine Mitchell of Glendora, California.
- BLT Dip: Bacon brings delight to every dish and this BLT dip is no exception, it’s a table staple and quick to make - a guaranteed crowd pleaser. Submitted by Emalee Payne of Eau Claire, Wisconsin.
- Mojito Marinated Fruit: Assorted fruits marinate in this summer cocktail favorite and fresh mint to liven the party up and keep you cool and refreshed. Submitted by Marcy Griffith of Excelsior, Minnesota.
- Maple Glazed Spare Ribs: Nothing screams picnic more than a slab of finger-lickin’ maple glazed spare ribs – fun to eat, the whole family will love digging in to this dish. Submitted by Linda Kobeluck of Ardrossan, Alberta.
- Patriotic Cupcake Cones: A fun twist on the average cupcake, these red, white and blue patriotic cupcakes are handheld fun for those who choose to indulge. Developed by the Taste of Home Test Kitchen.
- Carribean Rum Punch: A traditional rum punch that has been handed down for years.
- Peach Basil Sangria: Sangria with a twist – the basil.
- Strawberry Limeade: Perfect for everyone, even the kids. Or, add alcohol to rev it up.
- Brenda’s Strawberry Slush Delight: This is for the adults in the crowd.
- Summer Beer: Lemonade on steroids.
Share your favorite food or drink recipes in comments.