Monday, May 13, 2013
Witness said homeowner rescued pet from blaze in the 13700 block of Amherst Court.
A family of eight escaped unscathed from a fire that started in the garage of a home in the 13700 block of Amherst Court Monday night, according to the Plainfield fire department. Deputy Chief Jon Stratton said two adults and their six children — who ranged in age from 6 months to 16 years old — were home when the fire broke out shortly before 7:30 p.m. at the two-story home. Some of the children were playing in the backyard when residents inside the house heard noises from the garage and opened the service door to discover the fire, Stratton said. Family members were able to get out of the house unhurt, he said. "It was a fast-moving fire — extremely fast," Stratton said, adding that in the three minutes it took firefighters to reach the …
Wednesday, February 6, 2013
The homeowners escaped uninjured in Wednesday night blaze.
Smoke detectors alerted residents to a fire in their Harbour Lane townhome Wednesday night, helping them escape unscathed, according to fire officials. Investigators believe the fire may have started in the area of the fireplace in the basement of the two-story townhome in the 22000 block of Harbour Lane in the Lakelands subdivision, Plainfield Deputy Fire Chief Jon Stratton said. Sign up for Plainfield Patch’s newsletter and breaking news alerts. According to Stratton, the fire was burning between the basement ceiling and the floor above it. Firefighters got the call around 8:30 p.m. “It was burning for a while in there,” he said. “It severely damaged the floor joists.” Although investigators determined it was safe for the two residents …
Thursday, January 17, 2013
Tyler Drive blaze destroyed family’s belongings
Stephanie Mohr was enjoying a night in her new home with her fiancé and daughter this November when disaster struck. A fire in an outdoor chimney breached a firewall and started a blaze in the attic of the family’s home in the 3100 block of Tyler Drive. According to fire officials, the fire caused about $80,000 in damage to the house — and destroyed most of the family’s belongings. “We were relaxing and enjoying our new home when all of a sudden the lights started flickering and we ran to go check it out,” Mohr said. The couple quickly discovered the fire, which Mohr said began in the attic attached to 2-year-old daughter Novalie’s bedroom and destroyed virtually all of their belongings. Since the Nov. 9 blaze, the family has struggled. …
Wednesday, December 5, 2012
Because of the severe damage to the Caton Ridge house, the owners will need to find a temporary place to live, Joliet fire Capt. Dave House said.
A two-story Caton Ridge house was rendered uninhabitable Wednesday morning when a fire tore through the garage and spread into the home's second floor. The cause of the 8 a.m. blaze in the 6500 block of Breckenridge is under investigation, but Joliet Fire Department Capt. Dave House said the starting point was definitely the garage. (The house is located in Joliet but has a Plainfield address.) No one was injured in the fire, which took 16 firefighters more than a half hour to extinguish, House said. The owners of the house were not identified. Want the latest in breaking news throughout Will County? Sign up for our free daily newsletter and breaking news alerts.
Sunday, November 18, 2012
Blaze that killed Dorothy Dumyahn is under investigation.
The Will-Grundy County Major Crimes Task Force is investigating the death of a Crest Hill woman who was apparently killed in a fire Sunday morning at her Caton Farm Road home. Dorothy Dumyahn, 89, was pronounced dead at 9:30 a.m. after a fire at her home at 2309 Caton Farm Road, according to the Will County coroner’s office. Lockport Township Battalion Chief Frank Blaskey said the blaze, which caused extensive damage, was discovered around 8:50 a.m., according to the Herald-News. Blaskey told the newspaper that an off-duty fire lieutenant tried unsuccessfully to reach the woman before firefighters arrived. Authorities said Dumyahn was the only occupant of the home. An autopsy was scheduled for Monday, according to the coroner’s office.
Saturday, November 10, 2012
Plainfield firefighters responded to the second fire of the day in the same unincorporated area of Joliet.
An outdoor fireplace sparked a fire that badly damaged a home less than a mile away from a similar blaze that displaced another family Friday afternoon. Plainfield Deputy Fire Chief Jon Stratton said a 911 call came in around 9 p.m. after a fire in an outdoor chimney breached a firewall and started a fire in the attic at 3118 Tyler Drive. READ: Fire Badly Damages Joliet-Area Home Stratton said people sitting in the back yard of the home noticed something was amiss after lighting a fire in the external fireplace. “They noticed some lights flickering” in the house, Stratton said. After checking the attic and discovering flames, one of the people called 911, he said. Stratton said the fire was similar to a blaze six hours earlier in the 1900 …
Wednesday, August 8, 2012
Plainfield 16-year-old allegedly set neighbor’s swingset on fire, then tossed a propane tank at the blaze.
Police say they didn’t have any trouble tracking down a teenage suspect who allegedly lit his neighbor’s swingset on fire, then threw a propane tank at it in a heartbreak- and alcohol-fueled spree. Sgt. Mike Fisher said the 16-year-old, who told police he was upset after breaking up with his girlfriend, was arrested early Aug. 2 after a Sunnymere Drive homeowner reported seeing someone set the backyard blaze. “While [police] were looking for the individual, he had walked back to his house and got into a family car and went to go his girlfriend’s house to confront her,” Fisher said. “He decided not to turn his headlights on — clue No. 1 — so they stopped him” at Sunnymere and Blakely drives. Fisher said the teen was intoxicated when he lit …
Wednesday, July 18, 2012
The blaze started in the garage, but the source is still under investigation, Joliet Fire Capt. Dave House said.
A Joliet couple lost their detached garage and a Jeep inside in a late Tuesday afternoon fire, the source of which is still under investigation. The fire at 6901 W. Grantham Drive was detected shortly after 5 p.m., and required about 16 Joliet firefighters to get it under control within a half hour, Capt. Dave House said Tuesday night. While the damage was contained to Mark and Kimberly Guido's garage, the heat was strong enough to peel the siding from their home. Mark Guido, who was on the scene as firefighters put out the fire and with investigators as they combed through the ruins, said he did not know the source of the fire but speculated it could have been the Jeep. He and his wife have owned the house for six years, he said. The …
Sunday, July 15, 2012
Residents are credited with acting quickly to prevent a Sunday afternoon fire from spreading.
Quick-thinking neighbors are credited with saving a Plainfield home after a fire broke out Sunday afternoon. Plainfield Fire Protection District Deputy Chief Jon Stratton said investigators have not yet determined the cause of the blaze in the 22000 block of Bass Lake Road. When firefighters arrived shortly around 4:30 p.m., neighbors were already battling the fire, which melted siding and spread to a vinyl fence in the backyard. “With the wind, it just blew down the side of the house,” said Stratton, noting the blaze is believed to have started near the driveway and was reported by a neighbor. “The neighbors are very vigilant, and they had two or three garden hoses out there,” he said. “They did a very good job. If you ask me, they saved …
Thursday, June 28, 2012
Two homes were destroyed Wednesday in the Plainsman Terrace subdivision. Two firefighters suffered minor injuries, and a cat is believed to have perished in the fire.
Plainfield Fire Protection District investigators said the cause is undetermined in the fire that engulfed two homes on Rolf Road Wednesday night. While the residents were unharmed, Deputy Chief Jon Stratton said two firefighters were injured. One suffered a sprained ankle but was cleared to return to work the same night, Stratton said, and the other injured his hand and was expected to have it checked by a doctor on Thursday. Stratton said the blaze does not appear to be suspicious. “It looks like it was an accidental fire,” he said, adding investigators believe it started on the front porch. The fire originated at 23648 Rolf Road, quickly consuming the house, and spread east to the home next door. “I would say [the second house] is close…