Because of the severe damage to the Caton Ridge house, the owners will need to find a temporary place to live, Joliet fire Capt. Dave House said.
A two-story Caton Ridge house was rendered uninhabitable Wednesday morning when a fire tore through the garage and spread into the home's second floor. The cause of the 8 a.m. blaze in the 6500 block of Breckenridge is under investigation, but Joliet Fire Department Capt. Dave House said the starting point was definitely the garage. (The house is located in Joliet but has a Plainfield address.) No one was injured in the fire, which took 16 firefighters more than a half hour to extinguish, House said. The owners of the house were not identified. Want the latest in breaking news throughout Will County? Sign up for our free daily newsletter and breaking news alerts.
Repairs being done by the owner are believed to have ignited the blaze, which took about 15 minutes to put out.
A Plainfield Township house is uninhabital following a Sunday morning fire started by the owner doing bathroom renovations, Plainfield Fire Protection District Deputy Chief Jon Stratton said. The man was heating pipes to install new valves shortly after 11 a.m. at the 2415 Pecan St. home when he accidentally started the wall on fire, Stratton said. The blaze quickly spread, climbing the walls up into the roof, he said. Firefighters needed about 15 minutes to extinguish the blaze, but the damage is extensive, Stratton said. Given that the house is valued at about $180,000, Stratton pegged the damage at about $80,000. The house, which is a rental property, was unoccupied. The owner was making repairs in anticipation of a new renter moving in…